Goodreads

Beast of Shadow

My Note To Young Authors

When I first released The Untold Story of Shirley Holmes, I pushed and pushed for reviews online. Since I was convinced that the rating of my book might verify me as a writer. Personally I have always had this need to be confirmed. Like, everyone had to like it, otherwise it was total garbage... Lately my old childhood fears have re-entered my life through the form of publishing a story. A story that took me many many years to complete. A story that had grown so close to my heart, that it felt a part of me that I was to share with the world... 

Needless to say, since this is my first SELF-published work, there were some reviews that were less than savory. It nearly broke me so see such things being said about my first book, a book that I was so overjoyed about. One comment in particular certainly upset me the most.

Posted online at Amazon.com
This was a review underneath my beloved story. 

"I tried reading this and finally gave up about 2/3 of the way through. Some of the problems include no chapters, calling Dr. Watson Mr. Watson in several places, and using modern contractions such as Ms. The final problem for me was starting out the story indicating that Shirley Holmes was almost as observant as Sherlock and then having her repeatedly forget about an envelope given to her. If these types of problems don't bother you the story might be worth finishing."

Yikes. My story wasn't even worth finishing... Which is disappointing to say the least. 



BUT after talking with my supportive group of young author, I quickly realized something. This is only my beginning. Although that story may have been cherry to me, I have tons more time to improve! I can only go UP from here... But yet, this got me to thinking. Is this how other young authors feel? The criticisms just keep flowing out of people, bringing their confidence down? Maybe even convincing them that they should leave writing to the pros? What could I say to them that would undo such negativity?



My Dear Fellow Writers:


Every one of you is special. Every single one. You write with such a magic that even Harry Potter might stop and smile. The spells that you cast do not fall on our bodies, but our minds. Each word you write, create a deep visual in our souls that to each is their own personal movie. You can even breathe life into another person, without even having to say one word. Underneath your fingers lies the gateway to whole other world, one that might be away from sickness, or dying... Not everyone has the gift of creation, some can only destroy. Surely, destroying gives you satisfaction at first, but soon that slow decay of your soul will leave you with nothing. So which would you rather have? A gift that is quite powerful, yet full of pain? Or perhaps you'd go the route of tearing apart people's hard work with the appearance of strength? It is all left up to your nimble fingers. This is your story. Own it.






Comments

Dee Connell said…
What a beautiful message for writers--and readers! I do think that some people prefer to destroy than to create, which is a shame. When you create, you understand the fear and vulnerability that comes with the process, and you can be less brutal to others. I'm glad you're pushing forward to realize the goals you have for yourself. I

Popular Posts