Goodreads

Beast of Shadow

Other Than Writing...




To be a successful author that is able to form valid realistic connections with people and accurately describe certain experiences, said author must be full of knowledge outside of writing. Outside hobbies are priceless as companions when forming a character and documenting experiences. Not only will this be able to add depth to the plot, but also be able to engage a reader in the actual experience of such an activity. 

Personally, I have formed many other hobbies to occupy my time along with the art of writing. What does this do for my novels? In my mind the words are stronger when I discuss something I know about, rather than something I don't. My fingers can nimbly describe every single emotion and sensation a person shall experience horse-riding or shooting a gun rather than surfing, because I have not ever been surfing before. So characters who have similar interests or hobbies as I do are able to be more  clear than the ones who do things that I, as an author, have not done. 





A taste of farming and animal raising.


Joys of Exploring Museums!


The whirlwind of renovating and restoring!


Traveling and Sightseeing, a long held favorite.


The great challenge of targeting shooting (NOT hunting).


A (failed) attempt at photography


Neverending story of parenthood


Charity Donations like making fleece blankets




"Up in that room I decided that I would write one story about each thing that I knew about. I was trying to do this all the time I was writing, and it was good and severe discipline."
-Ernest Hemingway



Comments

Popular Posts