Goodreads

Beast of Shadow

Next American Poet Musician

What is the reason we listen to music? Most would say they have to like the tempo, the sound coming out to really enjoy a song. But there are some deeper thinkers, those who enjoy quality lyrics. Though I am a fan of both styles, I definitely have a deeper connection with lyrics that are meaningful and reflect experiences. Most of you know that I enjoy music, since I have a playlist linked to this blog because I can't stand the silence. Because of this love of music, and music artists, I am constantly on the search for music that I enjoy. It isn't hard since I enjoy basically every kind of genre.
But then there was this one song, one artist that I stumbled upon that has really made me obsessed over her tunes. And the biggest factor is, that she has truthful words within her songs. Her lyrics reflect her own life, and struggles that she's faced. It isn't hard to believe that she is a success because there are many who could relate.

That is why I am branding Kat Dahlia as the next American Poet Musician.


Since she is pretty darn new to the world (her first song was released in 2013) her Wiki page is hardly lengthy at all. So the basics of her origin is that she is a Cuban-American singer from Florida. She started off rapping at 8 years old then upgraded by starting to write her own rap sons by age 15, which is really quite impressive.

Her first single was Gangsta, which she released in 2013.



She also released the music video, Happy and I Know It to YouTube.


One of her more popular songs that could be heard on the radio is Crazy.





Now her newest album named My Garden just released in 2015. On the album is the song Clocks.




Now we arrive at the song that I absolutely love, adore and worship constantly is Mirror. I stumbled upon it on my IHeartRadio app, and fell in love with it instantly. Frankly this is one of her best works, and it carries that meaningful lyrics that I crave so much.







That being said, I will further provide lyrics to further illistrate my point of her unique sound and worthwhile lessons that carry on through her music. So compared to a best seller of Beyonce's music (no offense because I love her too) where literally all she sang was "Who run the world, girls!" Kat Dahlia definitely puts more thought and heart into her music.

Sample: 
Mirror, My Garden (Kat Dahlia) 2015

I wear my heart on my sleeve
Don't act like that's a disease
Need ya'll to bear with me please
I just say what I see
We all just chasing a dream
In the land of the free
While we payin' a fee
To stay on this concrete

Well, I don't know the price of your roof
But, the first of the month we all pay our dues
When the rain falls, it don't rain on a few
When the sun shine, it don't shine just on you

I don't know the monsters you knew
But I'm tryin to forget the ones I met too

Sample:
Gangsta, Single (Kat Dahlia) 2013

Put him in a big house before I ever see a Grammy

And my mommy started working days at the church
Finding Faith in God cause the real world hurts
So much evil lurks, they just make us work

But we cant find work

Abuela, mommy, and the girls in a one bedroom
South beach lifestyle, they just paying for the view
Mommy on the couch, since she was 42
Sacrificing for the kids, cause thats what mommies do



So as you can tell, Kat Dahlia raps about real world issues, just like the great legends of rap did years ago. Dr. Dre and Ice Cube on the Straight Outta Compton album, which is currently being made into a movie. Those songs were about more than just being a "gangster" or making money, they exposed real life issues that most didn't want to hear about. They even shined light to the growing divide between whites and blacks at the time too. All important issues to address, and many view that album as the best rap album ever created. Though Kat Dahlia wouldn't be nearly as influential as those men were, her message still gives a great point to American life, and how the struggles are real for those who aren't born blessed. Her lyrics could provide inspiration to the next generation, and free their minds from the cages they are put behind. 

All these reasons are very good reasons to appoint Kat Dahlia as the next American Poet Musician. 

Find My Garden on iTunes now!


Comments

Popular Posts