Goodreads

Beast of Shadow

Sneak Peek: Fireman's Oath

Hitting more close to home than any other story, I started writing this novel as a break from my other kind of "girly" novels and took a completely new approach with Fireman's Oath. Unlike my others, this novel is centered around a boy. A young adult who is going through the motions he always has, bound in loyalty to his close-knit family and his like on the truck. This side project started as a way to cure my writers block and boredom with my other series yet it blossomed into a full-fledged novel seemingly overnight. Now I am here to expose a little bit of what is going on beneath the pages and hopefully excite some awaiting readers!


"Back then I felt so unsure about seeing them, but now, they are most beautiful set of eyes I have ever seen."


What is it about?

Brandt, young man happily suited in his life of firefighting and family, is suddenly confronted by a girl of his past. A girl who has long been lost to him though she's always been on his mind. He's never forgiven himself for what happened to her. It was his fault. But now stems his chance to make it up to her and prove to himself that he hasn't caused her so much sorrow. The task won't be easy. Lyra is being hunted. She comes to him in search of assistance. Brandt can't seem to understand why, but he believes her story whenever everyone writes her off as a liar. The doctors. The cops. Even his own father believes that Lyra is troubled. Brandt knows it isn't true. He knows Lyra wouldn't lie, or be so scared for nothing. The question is: How can Brandt prove it before it's too late for her?

What does the title mean?

Fireman's Oath stems from the oath that Brandt's father and two older brothers recited as their oath to the job of being a firefighter. Their entire life is for smoke and flame. Brandt, in his own way, interprets in a more figurative way, thus providing him with the courage to save Lyra even against the wishes of his family. 

Where do you get the inspiration to write this novel?

I'll be honest. It is based off of somebody I know personally. Not exactly, of course, but the lifestyle and the family dynamics are all based on someone who I know. One day I found myself questioning whether or not he'd do something right even if it stood against his family. So I just started writing to see what would happen. This novel is my end result. I am pretty pleased with how he does. Bravo!

Long Awaited Peek:

Seeing those rare violet eyes takes me back to when I first spotted them in elementary school, all those years ago. Lyra had moved to my hometown while we were only starting in first grade. Her parents had been from this town but had moved away to the city for their jobs. Her smiling face entered the classroom with such hope of creating a place where she could belong. Right away she was quickly singled out as a new student with a rare condition which led her to have a purple hue in her iris. Back then I felt so unsure about seeing them, but now, they are most beautiful set of eyes I have ever seen.

My jaw nearly unhinges upon beholding such beauty in a person who I never expected to blossom into a gorgeous woman. Then the stab of guilt begins pounding on my heart.

“Lyra Kane?” I repeat.

Instantly her eyes focus on me, revealing their fear.

“Brandt?” Her tiny voice squeaks from her throat. It sounds raspy, like she’s been running for miles. Her intoxicating eyes flash back to the knife then back to my face. John then starts to convince her to put down the weapon. But once he takes a step forward, she quickly places it upon her pregnant stomach.

“Please… you have to help me!”

Only a little bit of fear travels up the back of my throat but I soon push it back down. Something is wrong.

Slowly I say, “What are you doing with a knife, Lyra? You want to cut yourself open on our sidewalk?”

“I’d rather be cut in half than let them get my baby!” She shouts.




What will Brandt do?



"...I do not fear this as I goethe, this fireman has said his last oath.”













FIND OTHER STORIES OF THE RAVEN ON AMAZON.COM





Comments

Popular Posts