Goodreads

Beast of Shadow

How To Deal With Multiple Book Ideas



While you are writing, other ideas tend to pop into your head; it's only natural, of course. When you are encouraging thoughts, or plot ideas into your mind, other unrelated ideas will enter your mind as well. Believe me, they are going to sound like great ideas too, which they may be. But spreading yourself thin can make you suffer, or your writing not be as passionate as it was if you were only focused on one goal. So basically, what I do is always do one thing at a time, either editing or writing, or even promoting my works. It is a hard job to do, yet alone trying to get other things done as well. 

Personally, it is difficult to switch my brain from one work to the next. If I am writing, I am in the mindset of the novel, all about the characters. I AM the character. But once, I switch back to my other novel to edit, I am out of swing. I've learned to get one task at a time. Although it seems like I have so much to do (Which is no lie!) I feel obligated to try to do it all. Thus creating a time when I'm not doing well at either thing. My writing becomes bland, I cut corners when it comes to promoting my novel, and I even space out when I'm trying to edit. My mind cannot keep focused! I'm all scattered brained when trying to do anything.
Yes, you can certainly do it all. I'm not advising against trying to do it all, because if you can, then do it! But, it's so hard to be totally invested in a piece when you are trying to keep up with so much stuff going on in your writing career. Your novel deserves better than that! All I'm suggesting is finding a balance, so that you can completely dedicate your time to the right task. 

I've found that switching days isn't effective, for me. I can't do blogging, writing, promoting, editing and having my sanity all in one day, or even one week! I've found that switching between weeks, what exactly I do is a great balance for me. One week I am in the mind of my editing brain, where I'm scanning for grammar mistakes and trying to enhance the wording. The next week I am trying to be creative and write a great plot story while making strong characters. See? It's just too crazy to try! 

Now, I'm sure you are wondering how to handle all the other book ideas that come into your head. I've found that it's effective to keep a notepad (or Word document) handy for when you have ideas come. I have a list on my computer of all these great book summaries, and quotes. Surely I am trying to resist writing them too. They seem like such great stories. But I've come to grips that I can't write like three books at one time, along with everything else. So, keep them safely locked away for when your time opens up (mine will be like three years from now), but hey! Eventually I'll be able to check those out again....someday.

As I've mentioned, it's hard to do so many projects at once so don't try it. However, if that's your only way to keep sane (How do you do that?) and be able to be in control of your own career, then do it! Of course, I'm not trying to boss you around! 

Wanna know how to write an instant best seller? Click here to discover how!

Comments

Popular Posts